Friday, July 20, 2012

Dill With It

I love when one thing kind of leads you to another thing.  And then that thing makes you smile and think something else.  And somehow it all just fits together and makes you happy.  This post is not really in regard to the house, but it does have to do with the whole "DIY" theme we have going on.  I'm talking about Homemade Dill Pickles. 

My niece Maggie and I have been talking about making pickles together for 2 years.  It started when I lived at the condo, and then I thought "Hey we can wait until we move into the house and use cucumbers from our garden!" which she got really excited about.  Except there was a slight snag in the plan...we don't have a garden (yet).  So we decided to just head to the grocery to buy some pickling cucumbers and get this pickle party show on the road.




 We ended up making 4 jars of sun pickles. (Really, you leave them in the sun for a couple of days, then refrigerate and eat!)

 And 1 jar of refrigerator pickles.  Because, you know, the only thing better than making one kind of homemade pickles is making two kinds!

So fast forward a day, and I see this:

Which for some reason makes me smile like a fool!  I don't know if it's because this whole pickle party just went down, or if it's because it reminds me of this video from SNL.

Either way...HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!

ps.  If your kids, nieces, nephews, or even YOU like pickles, you should click on one of the recipes above and try it out!  It was fun doing the shopping, having a couple days of anticipation not knowing what they will taste like, and then having the big reveal.

Review of the Sun Pickles:  Maggie loved them, I believe her words were "we aced it!".  Sydney might have loved them even more than Maggie.  And Reese scrunched up her nose and said "not very good".  As for my review...well, they were much better than I expected, but I couldn't finish a whole one.  They were pretty strong!   I'll let you know about the Refrigerator Pickles once they are ready to try!




No comments:

Post a Comment