Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Low-Down

Let me start by giving you the low-down on what's been happening up to this moment. Back in April of 2010 Lee stumbled upon this cute little (as I refer to it) "doll house" on craigslist. We have always had our eye out for a house to fix up, but it was hard to find one right up our alley. Well, we found it, and it is a project and a half let me tell you. Out little Tucker Station house is celebrating its 100th birthday this year, and we are so glad we are helping to ring in that celebration by giving it a makeover! We spent last summer gutting it, if you remember it was like one of our hottest summers in the history of the world here in Louisville. It actually felt good (EXTREMELY good) to walk from the inside of the house out into the 97 degree, 100% humidity! That's when we knew it was bad. But after 4 very large dumpsters filled up with plaster, lath, flooring, a cast iron bath tub (translation: HEAVY), and other various things, it has been completely gutted since around September. At that point we had to take down two non-functioning fire places, brick by brick.

Then came winter. With the frigid weather came the most brutal part of the rehab - the structural repairs. Thank the lord for Lee, and for his Dad, Charlie. They worked so hard together through the winter to replace the main girder and a few seals. And thanks to them, our house is safe and sturdy!! There was so much termite damage it was almost scary. We knew this going in, but it was still shocking when they actually removed the damaged logs and we could see just how bad it really was! We called the structural repairs "Phase 2" (Phase 1 was the demolition/gutting process). And let me tell you what, I have never been so happy to say "PEACE OUT PHASE 2!! I hope the door hits you hard on the way out!"

Now we are starting Phase 3, the fun part, putting it all back together with our own ideas and our own style. Hell-to-the-yes! And with this phase comes spring, and warmer weather, and green grass, and pretty flowers! Can you tell I am excited? Because I am. Like, ICANTSTOPSMILING excited! Plus I can start helping again, which makes me happy, I like to get down and dirty! Nothing like a little sweat-equity to get me excited.

So, as I type this and get this whole blog party started, Lee is at the house with his Dad finishing up getting all the new floor joists in. Hopefully this first post served as a good back-story, and we can move on from here project by project, picture by picture, smile by smile, kartwheel by kartwheel!!!...you get the point. If you didn't read my description on the side of the page, feel free to comment, share your ideas, and enjoy the process with us!

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment