Friday, January 27, 2012

Apron

Well, I did as I mentioned in my previous post and worked on our apron for underneath the farmhouse sink. 

The first problem I came to was whether or not I should use grey or white thread?  Thinking I should just look at what color thread I have in my kit I reached for it to take a look, but got sidetracked by the sewing machine itself.  As I opened it up, I realized it was not threaded yet (I'm pretty sure I was thinking that if white just so happened to be "hooked up", then that would make my decision very easy).  No luck, it was not threaded.  I glanced over at the manual, coming to the conclusion very quickly that I was not about to crack that baby open and look at the instructions.  Because you know...that would just be way too much effort for a Wednesday night.  Plus, lets be honest, Modern Family was on and that was more important than trying to figure out how to thread a sewing machine.  Not to mention that would just take me back to square one...grey or white?  Again, too much thought for a Wednesday night. That's when I had the best idea ever...no-sew-iron-on-adhesive..."aka"  Heat n' Bond.

Problem solved, I didn't have to choose between grey or white AND I got to watch Modern Family white doing a little easy ironing...talk about a win-win.

The good news is the Heat n' Bond worked like a charm.  The bad news is how I chose to do it was not the best idea.  I was thinking that since it had such a geometrical pattern,  it would not look good all scrunched up like a normal apron would look.  Here are a couple examples of scrunched-up versions:





So, I no-sewed it to be flat...thinking it would look all modern and sleek against that rustic hardwood floor:


Womp...womp.  I'm not sure what you're thinking, but I think it looks stupid.  At which point I decided to scrunch it up just to see what that might look like:




Not too shabby.  And it actually looks even better in person than in the pictures.  I chose this design (and color) because our back-splash will be marble subway tile.  In trying to keep with the grey/white/black/stainless theme I was thinking this would just kind of blend.  The good news is I started liking it. The bad news is since I no-sewed it to be flat, I didn't have enough to scrunch the whole thing and cover the entire section that needs to be covered.  Bummer. I'm also kind of wondering what some thick burlap would look like in that space, so I think I will try that out this weekend.  If all else fails, I can order some more of the fabric above and do it better next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment