Friday, January 13, 2012

Concrete to Granite

Ohhh, countertops.  This whole time we have been remodeling the house I have not been the least bit concerned about what kind of countertops we would get.  Lights...I was all over it.  Hardwood...searched for months.  Tile...we scoured the city, and ended up getting it in another city, and state, for that matter. Countertops...eh...I just haven't been too concerned with it.

It sort of reminds me of our wedding day.  For our wedding the last thing I was concerned with was the cake.  Lee actually made our wedding cake, so I told him to just do whatever he wanted and it would be a surprise to me on the big day. When we walked into the reception and I laid my eyes on the cake, I fell in love with it.







I mean really.  Do you see all of that beautiful basket-weaving?  It still blows my mind.  Well this is kind of how I'm feeling about the countertops.  It was one of those things in this whole process that I didn't put much thought into, and I feel like it is all turning out just great :)

Lee was planning on pouring concrete countertops until we came across some decent laminate countertops at Ikea.  So when we were purchasing our kitchen, we decided to get the laminate for the time being until Lee felt like messing with the concrete option.  Only there was a problem - you can't use laminate countertops with an undermount sink.  Boo.  So, concrete it was.  Or so we thought...

There is a stone countertop place two doors down from where we work called Eleet Stone Countertops. Lee decided to walk over there last week just to check out what they've got.  Well, it just so happens that we want black, and they had a remnant of a granite called "absolute black" that was on sale.  I say "on sale" because since it was a remnant, it was a lower price than if we bought it outright.  At that point, you just have to hope they have enough for what you need.  Did they have enough for what we needed?  No.  Well....maybe?   YES!!!  They found an extra slab out back of the same color.  So, unexpectedly, we are ending up with granite.  It looks like this...

And we pretty much love it.  I'm actually not sure what we love more, the fact that we are ending up with such a nice countertop, or the fact that we won't have to tackle another big project right now in pouring the concrete countertops!

This absolute black will go all along the outer cabinets, and as you saw in some previous pictures the island will have a butcher-block countertop.  All-in-all we are pleased with how this all went down, and we couldn't have had a better experience than dealing with Marty Leet, the owner.  He was fantastic and made the whole process very enjoyable.  Thanks Marty!!  (If anyone in the Louisville area is interested in stone countertops, I really enjoyed our experience with him).

I'm not sure when they will be done cutting and polishing our new countertop, but stay tuned because early next week I should have some really fun pictures of lights and fans and maybe even our kitchen cabinet faces will be on!! 

Happy Friday!! Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment